Sunday, June 24, 2007

See MySpace

Jazz has been big in my life ever since I was a student RN in San Francisco. My boyfriend, who is now my husband, flew up from Burbank, CA, to visit. He took me to my first nightclub to hear Errol Garner play piano. Garner sat on a New York City telephone book to put him at the right height, and I found the music and the experience fascinating.

I think most people have to get used to jazz. You hear a bit of melody, and then it's gone, lost in a flurry of notes played around it. Musically, I have no idea what the flurry is, but I love it.

Protocol says you clap each time a musician solos. Recently we attended a high school jazz festival where one of our daughters-in-law had brought her new band to compete. The band before them arrived late due to L.A. freeway problems, and when they played their first tune my husband and I clapped after each solo.

We were the only two people in the audience. When they'd finished, and we'd again clapped, we discovered that was just a warm up tune.

Oh well. A little encouragement is never a bad thing.

We're going to L.A. this afternoon to hear jazz again. On the next blog I'll tell you about seeing the Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

Dee Ann
heists2683@mypacks.net
http://www.deeannpalmer.com
http://www.myspace.com/deeannpalmerwriter

Posted by Dee Ann Palmer 10:50 AM 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------